While searching for some WordPress plugins for my website, I came across WPMU DEV. They offer tons of plugins (142) and themes (150), which can be purchased individually or by becoming a member.
According to their website, they have ~88,000 members, so they must be offering some value.
However, I wanted to write this WPMU DEV review, because while I was excited to join as a member, my experience did not live up to expectations.
You’ll probably feel the same way, if you’re like me and:
- Want plugins which work well right out of the box, with minimal customisation.
- Are not a developer/coder.
I joined WPMU DEV because I was interested in a few plugins to start with:
- Directory: Online business directory.
- Comments Plus: Social commeting.
- WordPress Wiki: Wiki features and management.
The Comments Plus plugin crashed my site and I couldn’t get it to work. The other two had very basic features and design. To get them to the level I expect from premium WordPress plugin, I’d need to hire a developer.
I tried to see if I could make any changes myself, with the help of the WPMU DEV support team. They were very responsive and provided suggestions for how I could modify the plugins to achieve what I wanted. The problem was that I didn’t understand half of what they said, because it was too technical . When I asked for more detailed and simple step-by-step process, they did not provide that. I was told it would be beyond the scope of the support they provide.
So for a customer with my profile, I felt that WPMU Dev did not deliver on their promise:
- More quality WordPress plugins, better support and guaranteed code than anywhere else on the web.
- All developed with WPMU DEV quality, they ‘just work’.
- Being a member is like having your own WordPress development team with full access to our experience and expertise, super fast response times, great resources and your development requests guiding what we do.
I also think that they are quite expensive, with membership options at $75 per month (monthly plan), $53 per month (3 month subscription) and $34 per month (annual subscription). Individual plugins and themes are priced at $39, which is not reasonable in my opinion, since many of them need additional work to be done.
To their credit, I had signed-up for a yearly subscription, for which there is no refund. However, when I put forward my case, they were kind enough to provide a full refund.